Do you urgently need to charge your mobile and laptop together?
Are you using USB hub?
Is it right that your USB device sudden stop working?
Do you really feel helpless as you are unable to access your mobile or laptop?
These kind of situations are really frustrating when you urgently need to charge your device and sudden your device stop functioning. And, it also a fact that mobile can only be charged with mobile USB charging pin and USB port.
Image Source: Moarmoaz
And, when you are using USB hub, there would be a lot of devices in your house that would be completely dependent on it for charging. Though USB hub is really good and common desk accessories, at the same you really feel it useless when it does not work properly.
Do you have a clear idea about USB hub?
Image Source: Moarmoaz
A USB hub is a device that enhances a single universal serial bus port into various parts so that there could be ports availability for connecting host devices to a host system.
This USB hub is widely used by the people as now, you can see that most of the devices have to charge same as the USB. So, USB devices now play a very important role in charging and data transferring.
What happens when your USB hub sudden stop working?
It becomes unresponsive and stops functioning.
When multiple devices are attached to it, one of the devices on the hub may receive weak power. If this situation happens before suspend request, the devices completely become unstable.
Anyway, if you are also having the same troubling phase with your USB hub, here is the workaround for you. You can use this work around to overcome any USB hub issues such as USB Type c hub with HDMI, USB Type c 5 in 1 hub, USB Type c otg, and more. So, let’s see different solution methods:
Method to Troubleshoot USB hub issues
1. Enable or disable USB root hub
Here, you need to use Device Manager to enable or disable USB root. This will allow a controller to have USB port recovery from the unresponsive condition. So, follow the steps as shown below:
- First, click on Start, and then on Run.
- Now, type devmgmt.msc in the box and click OK.
- You will now find Device Managers.
- Now, you need to expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Go to the affected USB root hub.
- Now, click on Uninstall to remove it.
- After this, you need to restart your system.
- Windows automatically scan for the changes in hardware and reinstall the root hubs that were uninstalled.
If the above method resolves your problem, then all right. Otherwise, you may proceed to the next step.
2. Deactivate the Selective Suspend feature
Here, you need to disable the Selective Suspend feature. But, while going through this step you need to keep in mind that when you disable this Selective Suspend feature, all USB host controller drivers are affected.
Hence, you cannot suspend any of the device connected to it and so USB device keeps on using the power.
Apart from this, you should allow the computer to turn off this device. So, see whether there is a check mark beside Power management tab for the root hub of USB.
You may disable the Selective Suspend feature by doing editing in the registry. This may further go to make your USB device unresponsive because of race condition in it.
The Selective Suspend feature maintain the battery power by enabling the computer for turning off the USB device. However, sometimes these features do not work perfectly, so USB device becomes unresponsive while you try to use it.
Hence, you need to be much careful while disabling the Selective Suspend feature. So, let’s have a look at the procedure to disable this feature:
Image Source: Moarmoaz
Steps to disable the Selective Suspend feature:
- First, click on Start and then click Run.
- Find and then click the registry as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Current ControlSet/Services/USB
- If you find there DisableSelectiveSuspend, double click on it. If not, create the entry. And, to create the entry, just follow the steps:
- Click on the Edit Menu and click on New.
- Now, click on DWORD.
- Now, type DisableSelectiveSuspend and press Enter.
- Click on Modify on the Edit menu.
- Go to the Value data field and type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature
- Now, click OK.
- Now, you need to exit Registry Editor.
The methods shown above are surely going to resolve the USB device issues when many devices are connected to USB hub. USB hub is very much beneficial to charge many devices at a time, so you must always take care of it so that there could not be any issue.
If you have innovative solution ideas for USB hub issues resolution, please share with us in our comment box.
Richard Denial is a technical writer who always keeps on posting varied kind of technical issues resolutions and ideas. His recent post is related to different USB and their elements like USB hub with HDMI, USB C Micro USB adapter, USB C to USB C and more.